Tuesday 14 July 2015

I can conquer the world with one hand as long as you keep holding the other

I once had talked to a guy who wouldn’t show affection to his wife in public. Why? He wanted to be a good role model for young boys.

Did he really just say that holding hands with his wife in front of people was being a bad role model? His reasoning made me sad. Really it did. It also left me speechless. I only saw them hold hands once. That was it~~ and they were newlyweds!




I believe that the small act of holding hands in public can be a big witness. Holding hands with your wife shouldn’t be looked down upon at any place, nor do in prayer halls neither at work place and not at all in public market places. I am thankful that there are couples who serve together in ministry as well as contribute their best in business together. I think it is great to show youth strong thriving marriages, especially since there are a lot of marriages that seem to be in crisis.

I disagree with this man’s reason for not showing affection with his wife in public. I think a great way for a husband to be a role model is to show affection to his wife in public. How is it bad to hold hands of your wife in public? I don’t feel it is. 

There are so many other things which a man can teach to many other young men around. Like, they must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. They should teach others what is good. These older men/women must train the younger men/women to love their wives/husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do well, and to be submissive to each other. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God.

I believe that women do have responsibilities and I do take that seriously. I believe that how wives treat their husbands is important, and can be a witness. Wives, we can witness not just to girls, but to everyone. I honestly believe that having a healthy marriage based on scriptural principles can be an incredible witness to the world! 

Holding hands should be, in my humble opinion, an outward sign of a happy and healthy marriage.

If holding hands with your husband/wife in public is hard for you, I hope the following will encourage you. If you feel that it is awkward, maybe you can take some small steps towards this. Start by holding hands in the movie theater or under the table at a restaurant. Then start holding hands when you go on walks together. Hopefully it can become second nature for you and your husband to hold hands in a crowd. It is really a blessed feeling. Each one of you should appreciate that each of you want to show the world unashamedly that you both are proud to be with each other and at the same time letting each one of you know how much you love each other.

I read it recently that Floyd, 90, and Violet Hartwig, 89, married for nearly seven decades have died at their home five hours apart while holding hands. They both were childhood sweethearts who remained inseparable right up until the last moments that they spent together. Little did they know that years later they would live a life defined by an unwavering love for and dedication to one another, and ultimately, by a deep, handheld connection.


Be blessed and take pride in showing it to the world around that you are in love with a right person!


No comments:

Post a Comment