Tuesday 3 May 2022

Why the story of saree is as complex as its pleats?

I don’t know why it took me so long to write something about this. the thing which is so close to my being and existence, “THE SAREE”. 


The Saree delineates elegance, grace and respect to every lady fortuitous of the fabulous drape. It could be Indira Gandhi communicating nationalism and seriousness through her aristocratic Khadi, it could be Lady Gaga going gaga in a Tarun Tahiliani creation, it could be the white wave at a funeral, it could be the bride Aishwarya in the stunning red and gold zari embellished wedding saree. There is grace in a saree, memories in a saree, there is love in a saree, colours, emotions, stories too but most importantly there is Strength In A Saree. Yes more than anything else, I feel that there is a #strengthinsaree.

I have seen women with strength wearing this boldly and beautifully accentuating the grace they own and courage they hold. Women have been sharing many stories of receiving prestigious awards in their sarees, their first day at work, getting married in their mother’s saree, and many more. 

For me, though, it’s not the special days to decide to wear the pretty thing rather on the low days, I skip wearing this. I have always been in love with these 6 yards of cloth, not because I was born to love it this way but seeing my mom loving it  every day. I remember her, while getting ready for work, after finishing the entire household work, she always used to make sure to drape the prettiest of all, sarees and hitting the pleats strongly to run towards the bus stand to catch a local bus to be on time in office. That’s where I inherit the love for this garment. It was a matter of pride and authority for her at that time, and now for me. And this is the reason, that for anything else, I take it as a symbol of strength.


This is how I live with the memories of my mom every day. Though I have very few of her sarees, but knowing that she is always with me, seeing me strong and bold in the garment that she loved the most, I consider that her blessings are with me, and she is keeping an eye on me to protect me from every evil.

It would be incomplete a write up without mentioning that, it should not always be the costliest, the designer one, the golden zari one, to make you stand out…. But a simple printed one can also do wonders when you wear it with the right spirit and attitude. With saree, you can play it safe at an uncertain dress code occasion because a saree never fails.

Happy saree’ing people. 

Do you relate to me when it comes to saree? 

Please post me with your experiences, memories, and special mentions about your saree stories. Looking forward to hearing from all my readers.

 

1 comment: